Two friends whom I will call "Joey" and "Daisy," although these are not their real names -- they are, in fact, the names of their cats -- got married about two years ago. After they got engaged, I had a meeting with them to discuss possible quilt designs, showing them various quilt images and asking them to tell me what they liked or did not like about a wide range of different possibilities. I took notes. Then, I pretty much stopped quilting for a year or so. And then I picked up my project list last fall for the first time in ages and was all like "OMG! I forgot about Joey and Daisy's wedding quilt!" This Tuesday, I completed the final finish work, roughly two years after the wedding. This will be the second time I present it to them; They had it for a few months, bound with safety pins, after I had done everything but the hand-finishing. This time, though, it's "done-done."
The primary design considerations were:
- That it wanted to be "symmetrical-but-not-too-symmetrical."
- That it wanted to consist of a short series of values in a single color.
- That it be big -- and it is, I think, my biggest quilt to date.
- That it be "built for speed" -- I was already way behind deadline, and needed to be able to cut, piece, and quilt a lot of blanket in a little time.
I think it came out rather well. Houseplant sold separately.
Serial Number: 61
Dimensions: 73" x 97"
Batting: Commercial batting.
Backing: Dark purple flannel.
Begun: 2011, after conceptual work in 2010.
Finished: August, 2012
Intended Use/Display: Wedding Gift.